Live Show: 06/06/97


St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Reviewed by: Chris O'Malley

The Details

One of the things I love most about seeing Fruvous shows is the fact that I get to see them in places I've never been before. I'm finally getting to visit all the cities and towns that people always talk about. I think I'll have covered all of Northeast North America by the time I'm done. :-)

Laurie Addenbrooke and I got to St. Catharines, a quaint little town, at about 6:30. We took a stroll through the town (it kept feeling like a colonial town to me) and had some food at the local pub across the street from the venue.

Doors opened a lot later than was expected, but while we were waiting, Heather Rolph and some of her friends were there, so we chatted with them about recent shows, etc. I think we finally were let in around 8:30 and proceeded upstairs to the area where Fruvous would be playing.

Mike and Kelly from Buffalo joined us, as well as Beth, all of whom I'd seen a week earlier at Clinton. Jude was there too; it's always good to see her. She always has info for me for the web pages, which is great. A bunch of us staked out a table near the stage.

A jazz combo called "Grab Bag" took the stage from around 9 to 9:30. Their band consisted of an upright bass, lead sax, electric guitar, and small drum kit. I haven't heard any good live jazz in a while, and I thought they were very good. I've always been impressed with people who can play upright bass, and these guys had such a rich sound.

At a little past ten, greeted by their standard "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'", Moxy took the stage and played a fairly normal length set. The crowd there was a little less than desirable. There were too many loud, drunk people for my tastes. They really crammed the people in there, too, to the point where you really couldn't move much. Also, and I don't think this was Trevor's doing, since this was the first time the venue had ever had a live band and the acoustics were, ummmm, interesting, but it was way too loud. My ears were really hurting afterwards.

After the show, we chatted with the guys, and with Marcus. I also got to see Sandy from Ohio, who comes to tons of fru-shows. Hi Sandy!! :-) I think we ended up hanging out until about 1:30 in the morning. Ugghh. Of course, I had a drive back to Rochester still. We all said our goodbyes, and after dropping Laurie back off in Buffalo, I headed home to Rochester.

Hey, wow, I just realized that I've seen Fruvous at least once during the past three weekends. I need some rest. Well, off to bed...

The Pictures

Click the description to get the pic:

The Music

(not complete)
Opened with The Set Closed with Encore 1 Encore 2

Misc. Info

Some other tidbits from the performance include:

Back to the tour dates 1997 page