Live Show: 11/1/98


Burlington, VT

Reviewed by: Chris O'Malley

The Details

Well, wasn't planning on doing so, but Sunday afternoon Vika and I decided to bite the bullet and head to Burlington, VT for the Sunday night show. We left Boston around four in the afternoon and made the trek north.

It took us about three and a half hours to make it to Burlington, so we got there around 7:30. It totally freaks me out when it's VERY dark by 5:30 nowadays, I thought it was so much later than it actually was. The show was supposed to start at seven, but Fruvous Mean Time is getting more and more something you can count on, so we figured we'd be OK.

We walked in to Club Metronome to catch the middle of the first song of Jess Klein's opening set. There were only about 50 people in the place, all sitting at tables. Vika and I grabbed some comfy floor and watched Jess finish up, having Jian join her on two tunes, one with the dumbek, and the other on his regular drum set.

The only other person I recognized in the audience was Kris' (TedKoppel) mom Kimberly (from Rochester). The audience beefed up a little bit more before Fruvous hit the stage, around nine. It was such a different groove than the previous nights: the crowd wasn't nearly as into what was happening on stage, some people were heckling (and would NOT let up), and the guys looked quite tired (which is understandable considering the previous FOUR nights they'd done). All of that considered, they still put on a great show, which included Nuits de Reve, something I haven't heard in a while. I think the set last about one hour forty minutes or so. The rest of the setlist was similar to what they've been doing lately: Pisco, Sad Girl, as well as the old standards...good stuff.

Here's what Murray's setlist reads:


After the show, there were only a handful of people that hung around to chat with the guys. Vika and I watched Murray played 1943: Battle of Midway (arcade game) downstairs. Sorry for distracting you Murray, and making you lose your game! :-) I still feel bad... :-)

Said our goodbyes, and hopped back on the road around midnight, making it back to Boston by 3:30 in the morning. Yikes! Woke up this morning at 7:30 (yikes again!) and went to work, which is where I'm writing this now.

It was kinda nice to see such a low-key see what Fruvous is still capable of after such an energy ouput like the Iron Horse shows...and they are capable of a lot, but you don't need _me_ to tell you that! :-)

The Pictures

Click the description to get the pic:

The Music

Opened with The Set Closed with Encore 1 Encore 2

Misc. Info

Some other tidbits from the performance include:

Back to the tour dates 1998 page